THIS SUNDAY! 3pm-9pm. DJ Chuck "thE oLd SouL" and DJisLORD will be holding down the VIBES and JAMS for your #FeelGoodSundayz at Eighty-Two LA. Pull up, pop quarters, have a drink, cool out with cha boys.
After our 3rd or 4th plate and a couple leftover turkey sandwiches, we back bringing dem VIBES n JAMS. Where you can find HFP Soundsystem this Thanksgiving weekend...
A double feature on Saturday...
1) DJ Chuck "thE oLd SouL" will be the resident DJ for the launch of Lagom Art Show: (Friends-Giving Edition)! Music, Poerty, Art all in one spot, along with Chuck dropping the usual VIBES and JAMS all night long.
2) DJisLORD will be holding it down at The Harvard Yard Bar with DJ Kubonics for the After Thanksgiving Function, "Sloppy Seconds."
Then on "Sunday! Sunday! Sunday!"
The November edition of DJ Hangouts, curated + hosted by DJisLORD is part one of our Holiday Edition! Spinning will be Kevin Crates, DJ BassMan, CC LOVE, with a special performance by $kinny Blak & Miyagi Open tables still apply! Come through bring your weapons of choice! Portables, Vinyls, Laptop, 45s, Midi. Also, in the Spirit of the Holidays... We will be collecting "Toy Donations" for the Children's Hospital this Sunday 11/26 until December's DJH on December 17th! Bring an unwrapped toy no more than $10 in value either or for both boys and girls. Bring in a toy and get a discount at Ametron!
Whatever your choose to get involved in (or all three for that matter), please do so! See you out in them streets this weekend.
Out of all my off the wall terminology, "Progressive Nostalgia" is the one I use the most when describing what musically, Honor Flow Productions is all about. Yes, we've gotten the "Old School" and "Underground" comparisons, but the way I've always answered that feedback about us is like most artists, "You have to go beyond the surface level" (although frankly I don't care what you call it as long as you listen to it and like it lol!).
We clearly wear our influences on our sleeves. But they are just that, influences. Every artists will pull from their inspirations, and then put there own spin on it. It's sampling the best of the past for you and building on top off it for the future. It's a nod to your roots, but growing a new tree. That is concept of "Progressive Nostalgia." It's embedded in HFP's original tracks and in our DJ sets.
The radio OG Roland Bynum of 102.3 KJLH became intrigued by this philosophy when the term came out of my mouth during our conversation at the station a couple weeks back. We had re-connected while I was DJing the Jazz At Charles Drew University Festival, years after I briefly worked at KJLH as an intern in 2010. Roland was one of two jocks (the other being Nautica de la Cruz) that would allow me in the studio to soak up game and ask questions. I never forgot that. So I was more than happy and honored to take up his offer in give me a platform to bring the HFP Soundsystem sonics to Los Angeles FM radio for the very first time.
And this is just Volume 1 ya'll. Expect monthly installments.
Soul Claps and Salutes and Thank You For Listening,
DJ Chuck "thE oLd SouL"
1) George Duke - Reach For It
2) A Tribe Called Quest - Bonita Applebum
3) The Fugees - Killing Me Softly
4) Childish Gambino - Redbone
5) Michael Jackson - You Rock My World
6) Ralph Tresvant - Sensitivity
7) The Foreign Exchange - Take Off The Blues
8) Maxwell - Sumphin Sumphin
9) The Weeknd feat. Daft Punk - I Feel It Coming (Dj Rob Dinero "I Can't Help It" (Remix)
10) Prince - Pop Life
11) Bruno Mars- Chunky
12) Janet Jackson - Go Deep
13) Ruff Endz X Chris Brown - No More (DJ Rukus "Fine China" Remix)
14) Calvin Harris feat. Frank Ocean and Migos - Juicy Slide (Mighty Mi Bootleg Remix)
15) Stevie Wonder X DJ Quik - Pitchin On My Cherie Amour (HFP Respect The DJ Remix)
16) DJ Jazzy Jeff feat. Masego and Rhymefest - 2 Step
17) The Whispers - Keep On Lovin' Me
18) Evelyn Champagne King - I'm In Love
19) Teena Marie - Square Biz
20) Kashif - I Just Gotta Have You
21) The Internet - Dont'cha
22) Omarion - Touch
23) Parliament Funkadelic - (Not Just) Knee Deep
24) Anderson.Paak feat. Schoolboy Q - Am I Wrong
"Not mainstream or underground, just a dope sound... Live Loud, Dream fearless."